Sunday, January 6, 2013

Starting with a French Armoire


So EXCITED to share my first Annie Sloan Chalk Paint project for my first post!  Welcome to my blog!
 

                     For my first project.....My French Armoire! 


Here is the 'before' picture.  I found it on Craigslist...and my husband hauled it home.....not sure how many pieces, but I wish I had a picture of it in a pile in my living room.....it was quite a task to assemble!  Once we got it put all together it was obvious I would be painting it assembled and in our living room. There was no way we were going to go through that process a second time!!

The Armoire had a lot of water damage and as you can see there was a lot of peeling veneer and I wasn't sure what to do with that. Some of it I just peeled off. 


 
Some of it needed a lot of wood filler and sanding.  (Sorry about that glare!)
 
 
Initially I wasn't sure what to do with metal details.....
 
 
I also wasnt sure what colors to use.
Here you can see Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Coco on the upper left, Country Grey on the right and Old White on the bottom left.  I walked by these swatches a few days until I knew what I wanted to do.
 
I decided to paint the entire piece in ASCP Country Grey. Then, following the lines of the original veneer, I added contrast with ASCP Old White.   You can see here were I started to doubt myself and tried a little ASCP Old White on the front to see if I would like it better....but I stuck to my plan.
 
I was able to see the veneer through the first coat, so it was easy to tape off.
 
 
I wasn't sure what to do with the metal pieces until I saw how they looked unpainted. They were much too dark and I didn't like the contrast. So I painted them and then wiped off a little of the paint.
 
 
Getting there...After getting to this point, I decided to add some Old White to the top piece and on the legs.
 

I very lightly sanded; including the metal.  I absolutely LOVE the little glimmer of gold shining through the chalk paint!
 
 
 
 
 
Here it is all painted,  pre-wax, and reflecting a cute kindergartner!
 
 
 
 

 

I first applied a coat of clear wax and finished with a coat of dark wax.  Since this was my first time using waxes, this was rather scary.  I learned a lot about the waxes...what to do and what not to do.  I now know to mix some clear wax with the dark wax....it gives you so much more control over how dark the piece is and eliminates the streaky look.
 
 
But I am still so happy with the results!
 
 
 
 
 
It is so pretty and the perfect place to hold all my creative stuff!  I would like to paint the inside, too, but that is a project for another day!
 
I  am linking up to
 
 

15 comments:

  1. Amazing job! You hit the Craigslist jackpot! Congrats on your first post...I just started a few weeks ago myself!

    - Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hit the CL jackpot, indeed; I forgot to mention that it was only $100!
      Also thanks for being my first comment:)

      Delete
  2. I think it looks great. It is such a pretty pie e of furniture. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenda! Checked out your blog and it is so exciting you won the Decor Steals give away!! I entered that one, too! LOVE those scissors!

      Delete
  3. Is this your first project?Wow, you are good!!

    I love your armoir,you've done a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sayuri! After I put the paint swatches on the side of the armoire, I found an old table and practiced so I could get a feel for the paint and waxes, so this is my second project:)

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the blog world! Isn't chalk paint just fun? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job! I can't believe this is your first piece, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am smitten! What a find! And your treatment was spot on....exactly what I would have done! Good job....can't wait to see more!

    Come check us at at www.junk-fest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful armoire and welcome to blogging. Thanks for joining Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous!!! I love it Christina! You did a fantastic job and I love all your detailing. I painted my sideboard in Country Grey, too. But, I missed about need to use clear wax before the dark....so I had to repaint a side. Since I didn't have any ASCP clear wax, I got some MinWax...but it was natural so it had a bit of color. I was plenty scared of the dark and never went for it. I like my finished product so it's okay...but I really appreciate seeing how yours turned out with the dark wax. Maybe on a future project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double check the URL you comment with. I think it's missing the "c" in fuchsia. I Googled to find you. :D

      Delete
  9. What a gorgeous first project! Love it!!

    If you get a chance, I would be honored if you stopped by and shared at www.ShadesofAmberInc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete